Thursday, October 23, 2008

Way to burst my bubble

One of the perks of being a teacher is that - if you do even a half-way decent job - your students think you're the most amazing person in the world.  Consequently, I get a lot of "I love you, teacher."  "You're so nice, teacher."  "You're the best teacher in the world."  "You're so pretty."  etc.  Not too shabby, eh?

Yesterday my students wrote a paragraph describing the class.  They were supposed to tell me what they see, hear, and smell in our room.  (Yeah, I know - I really opened it up for craziness with that last one.)  Anyway, I discovered I'm not quite as awesome as I'd like to think when I read one of my student's paragraphs.  

She said:  "I want to describe my classroom.  In my class there's a lot to see, hear, and smell. Every day I see my second favorite teacher, the American flag, colorful baskets, and pretty plants. "

So not only am I the second favorite (which she explained to me in further detail, with much enthusiasm), but I'm also as exciting as the flag, baskets, and plants.

Sigh......oh, hello humility - it's nice to meet you again.  ;-)

1 comment:

Mom said...

I thought you were their ONLY teacher -- who is she comparing you with, the lady from last year? Anyway, take heart . . . surely the rest of them told you how wonderful you are! How could they not?

Blessed

We live in an old house that has settled unevenly over the years. As a result, some windows and doors stick while others are difficult to ke...