Sunday, June 1, 2014

Vocabulary

Ren is quite the talker (mostly due, in my opinion, to his insanely verbal daycare buddy, Lincoln.) As such, he often says interesting things.  For example...

Ren: "Mommy, use your knockers!"
Me: "My what???"
Ren: "Your knockers!"
Me:  (Making fists with my hands and knocking in the air) "These?"
Ren: "Yes!"

So we start walking and I knock in the air as we walk.

Ren: "No Mommy, not like that, like THIS." (He holds them up to his eyes.)
Me: "Oooh - you mean my (bi)noculars?"
Ren: "Yes, your noculars!"
(Glad we figured that one out!)


This next one involves an anatomical term, just in case you care. We refer to things by their real names, both to remove the mystery/stigma and (in my case) to help me be comfortable talking about it with our kids. (Which is REALLY hard, so I guess it's good I'm starting now rather than when he starts asking questions.) At any rate, today at church Robb and Ren were sitting on the front pew while I conducted the opening hymn. When I came to sit with them Robb was laughing. He related the following:

Robb picked Ren up and moved him on the pew. He accidentally lifted Ren by his crotch.
Ren: "My penis! My penis! Ow!!!!!"

I don't think anyone else actually heard, but it made us laugh so hard I decided I want to remember this one. (And yes, Ren was fine.) :-)

1 comment:

bedelia said...

ha. so funny. We use the correct terms for body parts for our boys and now our girl as well and there have been several occasions when they've said things a little too loudly in public. I find it mostly amusing.

Blessed

We live in an old house that has settled unevenly over the years. As a result, some windows and doors stick while others are difficult to ke...