Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fire Update 2

Highlights:

  • SJFD has determined the fire was deliberately set and are conducting an active arson investigation.
  • Other than the foundation and concrete pillars, the old building is completely demolished and the rubble has been cleared.
  • The majority of the portable classrooms (all 1st and 2nd grade classes, a library, and a cafeteria) will be across the street, on Hoover Middle School's field.
  • Three portables (for 3rd grade) will be on the Trace site, along with the resource room, ELD coach room, RSP room, speech room, and another library.
  • Construction started last week to prepare space for the portables. We are guaranteed to be in by August 14 (though here's hoping it's sooner, since two days before school starts is NOT much!)
  • Insurance will cover/reimburse "everything". When that actually happens, and whether or not everything actually means EVERYthing, we still don't know. Making the list for the insurance agency is HARD. Every time I work on it I remember more things I held dear and have now lost. Sigh.....I know it will be better in the future, but it's still difficult at present.
Some GOOD news:
  • One of my former students contacted me and donated 20 or 30 of her own books to help rebuild my classroom library.
  • Shaine's sister-in-law, Jen, used to teach and gave me a box full of really good teacher books - hooray!
  • My mother-in-law and husband found a garage sale with a bunch of children's books in Spanish (and they bought all of them, of course.) ;-) Plus, Diane found some sweet book-related fabric and is making a pillow cover for my class.
  • The Friends of the Library is holding a book sale to raise money for the school, and they let us come through and pick out any books we wanted before the sale.
  • Various friends have what and how to donate, including Shaine making me into a service project for her former single's ward. Sweeeeet.

And so it goes - onward and upward. Thank you for all of your help and support, and happy rebuilding!






1 comment:

Carrie said...

Please tell me when I should donate. Also did the playground receive any damage?

Blessed

We live in an old house that has settled unevenly over the years. As a result, some windows and doors stick while others are difficult to ke...