Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Looking Back: Robb Becomes a Proud Papa

I mean...owner...of a 1975 VW Bus. A Westfalia, or "Westie", complete with pop-top camper, two fold out beds, a sink, a stove, and an icebox/fridge, he/she/it (a name has yet to be chosen) sleeps four comfortably and puts some major sparkle in the proud papa's eyes. We flew out to Phoenix this past Valentine's weekend, and spent three days driving it back to San Jose. The Grand Canyon was gorgeous (Robb's first visit), Hoover Dam at midnight was movie-set surreal (a first for both of us), and Death Valley was interesting (my first time there).




Miraculously enough, we made it home safely, and I have to say that, while I may not love the bus unequivocally, I do think it's pretty freaking awesome. If Robb hangs onto it long enough to be able to fix it up entirely (we're talking YEARS, mostly because it'll take that long to save the money for the minor body work and major paint job that need to be done), it will be absolutely amazing. For now, I'll just squint and pretend to be able to ignore the green-faded-to-blue curtains clashing with the orange-black-green plaid. :-)

3 comments:

bedelia said...

I'm utterly jealous. I would LOVE one of those. I grew up with a orange vw bus and thought that was awesome, the westfalia ones, top that.

Anyways, just yesterday, I drove past a car place and randomly remembered taking you to some car place to pick up your honda...I think it was a honda. I enjoyed remembering our college days and how I'd visit you and buy salads in the Tanner building.

Michael Kaiser said...

Congratulations! I too have a '74 westy, and have been fixing it up for the past few years. It is now my daily (almost) driver. The restoration is not as tough as you might think, but does require a lot of love :) Check out the pictures of our restoration on Flickr; http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkaiser/sets/72157602187902913/

Shalmeno said...

A - if you're serious, when the time comes to look for one check out www.thesamba.com. :-)

Blessed

We live in an old house that has settled unevenly over the years. As a result, some windows and doors stick while others are difficult to ke...