Sunday, November 22, 2009

Total Car Annihilation 2009

Well, we've finally got some news. Thursday morning at 7:30 I was fixing my breakfast when a loud knock called me to the door. I opened it to discover three San Jose police officers on our doorstep. (Surprise number 1). I'm thinking, "Holy crap - what kind of a parking ticket IS this???"

Policeman #1 wished me a good morning and asked what kind of car I drove.
"A silver Matrix," I said.
The reply: "Not any more."

He then asked if someone in the household drove a grey Volvo. I responded that my husband had a grey Volvo. The response to that one was a grimace (from all three officers) and the comment "You're going to want to come with us and see this."

I call out to Robb, we grab our coats and walk out to the street with our company of San Jose's finest, where we saw surprise number 2. My car, completely annihilated and smashed up against Robb's, which is also looking somewhat smashed and generally off. Oh, and it was also up on the curb and quite cozy with a tree.

Turns out some guy driving a RAV4 was quite sleepy and ran into my parked car at 35 - 40 mph. My car smashed into Robb's Volvo, which smashed into the tree and a pickup and pushed the pickup forward about 6 - 10 feet. We're talking IMPACT.

The "sleepy" (possible extenuating circumstances, more on that later) driver was okay, just airbag-bruised. Robb and I are okay, just car-less. Right now we're just grateful that:

1. We weren't in or near our cars when this happened.
2. "Sleepy" is insured.
3. I'm free from my lease. Not that I had a problem with it or that I didn't like my car, but I'm trying to find the positive here and I guess it's nice to be free from that contract 18 months ahead of schedule. I guess.

So, we're all well, but I thought I'd share since we finally have some "big" news. Thanks to everyone who sent prayers, good thoughts, and positive energy our way. We love you all!





4 comments:

bedelia said...

Wow! That's crazy. Were both cars totaled or just one? It really is an excellent story. And I really love the title of the story. In fact, I like to randomly title stories, pictures and just every day occurrences and this is definitely in my top ten of titles.

Shalmeno said...

Well, my car is most definitely totaled. Robb's could be fixed, but since it's 20 years old the repairs would be more than the value of the car. Meaning it's totaled, too. But we LOVE that car, so...it's sad. We're hoping to find another Volvo on craigslist.

Unknown said...

The note from your student was a nice touch. I love it. But I'm sorry about your cars. Let me know if you need anything. Love ya!

Carrie said...

WOW...new meaning to "slumber party". I am very happy to know each of you are OK.

Blessed

We live in an old house that has settled unevenly over the years. As a result, some windows and doors stick while others are difficult to ke...